Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Limiting doll purchases?

  1. #31
    Inactive Member tatabatata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2005
    Posts
    595
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by AsianAG:
    Don't look at me!! Remember you're talking to the one who bought TEN dolls from ebay in one year, not to mention 5 fixer-uppers (4 of them yet to list on ebay)!!

    So I must echo the sentiment, "Willpower?...what's willpower?"
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a girl after my own heart!!!!
    I drooled over AGs and Stardust for sooo long, unable to spare a dime, that when I finally was able to get our first AGT (Alice, belonging to DD in 2004... it was all downhill from there!
    See my other post!!!!

    Ana [img]redface.gif[/img]

  2. #32
    Inactive Member uktmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    268
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, since I am only collecting the historical dolls and not the friend dolls, the new Bitty Baby clothes and selling off my AGOT collection. I tend to buy the latest historical doll when it comes out, if they ever come out with a new historical doll!

    Now that there are no new dolls in my path, I am working on the outfits and accessories to complete my collection of all my historical dolls!

  3. #33
    Inactive Member FelinaDoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    692
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Please Dear God Hear my Plea;

    Send dolly self control down to me.

  4. #34
    Inactive Member AGcrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 17th, 2006
    Posts
    338
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's definitely hard to limit doll purchases! I'm always happy to see a new Barbie clothes order in my email 'cause I start plotting what AG or clothes I'm going to get next, lol.

    I've been trying a little one on one bonding with each doll on a daily basis--well trying for daily, lol. (Weekends don't exactly work out.) Sort of like a mom who has a lot of kids who wants to take one-on-one time with them and has just mom and kid time. I felt like I was accumulating them too fast and not really getting to know them--like one of the previous posts said.

    I may not have had an actual full day with each doll, but I have had some "me and dolly" time with each one separately now and it does help! My 2 sweethearts Kailey and Samantha are on their way to a friend who does limb tightening and I already can't wait till they get back!

  5. #35
    Inactive Member WhimsicalGypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2006
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, being the age I am (24 next month) with no husband or children, I do allow myself to spend alot of money on non-necessities, as long as I can make my commitments on time and without having to scrape around at the last minute for it. Running my own business, I've started making my doll and other "fun" shopping at the end of the month, so I can see how that month went and am able to make my obligations if it isn't a busy month. I think that's about my only restriction, lol. When it comes to dolls, I say the more the merrier! My mother has a friend that has 300+ dolls. I bond with my American Girls, but when I'm not, they look so beautiful displayed I wouldn't think of selling them because I wasn't spending enough "quality" time with them.

  6. #36
    Inactive Member Nethilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2006
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I do it by a very simple method--I measure all my money in ponies. And since I want all the new ponies and playsets that come out, I have to "save" my money for them.

  7. #37
    Inactive Member margersk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 13th, 2004
    Posts
    147
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Elizabeth was purchased in August. Since Christmas, we have added AGT#4, and a whole Jess collection plus over $1000.00 of other outfits and accessories. WE (DD & I) are trying to take a break, but it is addicting. I am trying to be a good role model and by spending too much I am afraid that has not happened (although no Credit Card purchases unless the cash is there to pay for it). My dad is making DD a scooter, but I know somehow Sam's bike will find its way into the house too. Eventually DD will run out of display room in her bedroom so she has decided Emily will be added and that will be it for the year.
    3 dolls in 7 months for a total of 13. Prior to joining this board the most we had ever added was 2 in one year but usually 1.
    LOL

  8. #38
    Inactive Member Skywalking's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well Lissie was the first girl that I spent my own money on when I decided this year at the age of 22 that I really DID want her and purchased her from a boardmember as a present for me (LOVE Those!) to celebrate my acceptance into Grad School. Weirdly enough the package and final acceptance letter were even just a day apart!

    I don't see myself going overboard, though I LOVE looking at everyone's dollies and am in love with AGT26, Kaya and Nellie.

    What I DO see as a problem is wanting to aquire Lissie's complete collection though, even the PM items but I know I probably won't be able to. At this point I'd be glad to find her riding breeches and have combed ebay for those in any version since mattel got rid of them again, but I set limits as to how much money I'll spend on particular items so I really doubt I'm going to go for that clothespress after all. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Generally the dolls tend to appeal to me if they have a historical period I'm particularly interested in, and since my interests are mainly in the Revolutionary War period and in the Puritans and Pilgrims, I don't see myself falling in love and NEEDING to have anyone else right now.

    At least until my Pilgrim girl finally comes along...

  9. #39
    Inactive Member jessicasturm's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2005
    Posts
    923
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good Thread!

    Let me first say that I feel very blessed. Money isn't really a problem for me, and if I wanted more AG stuff I'd get it. However, I think I'm a cheap skate at heart. I have trouble even spending $25 on myself every once in awhile! Plus, I'm very sensitive to how much room stuff takes up, and doll stuff takes up a lot!

    So, I guess I have "cheapskate willpower!" Ha ha!! I would love Jess, but I feel like five dolls in enough, and I already got one this year.

    One thing that really touched me was Neth's story about getting Addy. If I were to get another doll right now, I think it would be fun to give it to a little girl that has dreamed about AG dolls but has never been able to afford one.

    Jessica

  10. #40
    mypinkmermaid
    Guest mypinkmermaid's Avatar

    Post

    Limiting myself only by available funds, space to devote to storage/display, and my hubby's patience (endless!) I started out with 1 for xmas last year and now have 11, with part of a spare room dedicated to them!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •